The Dragoons at
Fort Tejon patrolled a wide area and had many responsibilities.
They settled disputes involving Indians in the Tule and
Kern River districts. They toured the Owens Valley, the
San Gabriel Valley, and Mojave River country to "overawe" the
Indians of those regions and to protect the miners and
prospectors. In 1858 a small subpost was established
at San Bernardino, and in 1860, Camp Cady (downstream
from present day Daggett on the Mojave River) was manned
for a time by Dragoons from Fort Tejon. The Dragoons
were even sent to Los Angeles on occasion to maintain
order there. In June 1861, despite protests from local
ranchers, the Dragoons were transferred away from Fort
Tejon, and with their departure the civilian population
melted away overnight.